Friday, November 28, 2008

Day 1 --> Queenston, ON to Madison, WI

Day 1 - Queenston, ON to Madison, WI













The day started out pretty cloudy and grey. Early in the morning (after a very late night) I thought it would be appropriate to start my travel blog off with a picture of my hometown sign. I finished packing by about 10:00 AM and was on the road by 10:30 with a stop at Country Cravings for a Chicken Club and a coffee. (No lettuce or tomato on the sandwich though) The drive through Ontario was rather uneventful. I stopped off along the highway to stretch out at about Woodstock and then drove right on through to the bridge in Sarnia. The half metre of snow has nearly all melted there were traces in Strathroy but not too much in Sarnia or London. There was a bit of snow and hail on my drive on the 402. I went through the Nexus lanes where I was asked my citizenship and where I was going.


Michigan - The state speed limit for highways is 70 MPH what a wonderful speed. I traveled I-69 past Flint and Lansing stopping for gasoline and dinner in Charlotte. I continued to the I-94 and into Indiana.


Indiana - While on the I-94 you travel a small portion of the state. Every radio ad seems to be for Notre Dame. I drove over to the Indiana Toll Road I-90 where I paid $.60 to enter and $1.75 to exit. This was so I could get over to the Chicago Skyway.


Illinois - Or should I say IllANNOYING with all the tolls. First they want $3.00 then They charge you $.80 then $.80 again then $1.50 then another $.60 then to finally another dollar. I did get to see the downtown and Sears tower from my window as I drove by but their highway system is a lot like in Montreal with the expressways being sunken. I went pas Nathan's old street and followed the subway line out past O'Hare. When I got to Des Plaines I stopped again for a stretch and to fill up again. I left there headed out towards Beloit. I had heard on the radio about the Beloit College Mindset List. Please have a look at your year if you are the class of 2002-the class of 20012. http://www.beloit.edu/mindset/2002.php


I will digress and tell you a few of the things for my year...
The people starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1980.
They have no meaningful recollection of the Reagan era, and did not know he had ever been shot. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart, and do not remember the Cold War....

Wisconsin - I crossed into Wisconsin on the I-39 North and drove through to Madison. I am near Wisconsin Dells but do not think I am going out of my way to see the first Great Wolf Lodge. On NPR Radio Wisconsin there was a one hour program on ways to cook and hunt moose, otherwise it was pretty much just Christmas carols on the radio. The CAA/AAA book said that the Super 8 had free high speed and 15% off listed price for members so that is where I am writing you now. My plan for day two is to head for Fargo and see where I am at from there. Stay tuned...











No comments: