Saturday, December 20, 2008

Two Weeks in ....



Well I made it to the two week mark. There was a lieutenant that came up one week before me to work for the Fire Department but he only lasted a week. This past week we got a new lifeguard at the Ruth Inch Memorial Pool. Her father is the chief pilot for Air Tindi who Alex Young (Ian's college classmate and former house mate) flies for. This week was pretty quiet at the pool. I am getting to know some of the regulars who show up for the lunch hour swims and those who come after work. The 9-6 shift is nice but you don't get to see the sun very much. I move over to the 12-9 shift next week on Monday and Tuesday and then work four hours Christmas Eve and then get Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday off and I get paid for the two holidays too, it is great to be a full time worker becuase sometimes you have to work a certain number of ours before they will pay you for the holiday as a part timer.



WEST JET --> "We take you further" A 737 travels off a icy runway at the Ottawa Int'l Airport on Friday Dec. 19th.





This week there was a press conference at the airport. There was great news from WestJet they are going to begin service from Edmonton to Yellowknife from $159 and I just heard that it is about $359 one way from Hamilton to Yellowknife.



The cold got to the block heater cable. So I have now become a part-time electrician installing a new plug on the end of the cable. The things you learn and do to survive the Arctic.



Last night I got to meet a bunch of pilots from Air Tindi and some friends of Amanda's. I went to the first annual "ugly" Christmas Sweater Party about 10 people went to Alex and Amanda's to celebrate all things wool. It is really hard to find Christmas sweaters here so I managed to find a flannel pyjama top with gingerbread men and candy canes. I also went up to the twelth floor of their building and had a great view of the city from Spencer's condo unit. I also had a great conversation with a fellow from North Hatley, PQ from the Eastern Townships who went to Bishop's in Lennoxville.





Tonight is the City of Yellowknife Christmas Party at the Explorer Hotel near the Legislature. It should be a fun event with cocktails, dinner, awards and dancing. The city is even sponsoring cab rides for those of us who are going. (There is a fire hall party going on that night too which three people from the pool are going too.)







To all of you reading in Niagara I hope that you make it through the snow storm allright. You will be getting a White Christmas afterall.

No comments: